We all know the ingredients to grab when making a cake – eggs, flour and milk, but did you know there’s an easy trick to baking some extra health into your cake? We’re talking about whole-wheat flour. In most baking recipes, you can substitute whole-wheat flour for half of the amount of white flour. Using whole-wheat flour will add extra fiber and phytochemicals and double the amount of magnesium and selenium. Eating food with high fiber content will aid in digestion and will make you feel full faster.
Want to try it out? Have your cake and (wh)eat it too with this delicious recipe for chocolate raspberry pound cake.
- ¾ cup less-sugar raspberry preserves
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup reduced calorie sugar substitute
- ¾ cup baking cocoa
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup less-fat margarine
- 3 tablespoons raspberry-flavored liqueur
- 16 ounces fat-free sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a tube pan with canola cooking spray and dust lightly with flour. Place the raspberry preserves in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 15 seconds or until softened.
- Add whole-wheat and white flours, sugar, sugar substitute, cocoa, baking soda, and salt to large mixing bowl and beat on low to blend well. Stop mixer and add margarine, liqueur, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and softened preserves all at once. Beat on medium speed for two minutes, scraping sides of mixing bowl after a minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove cake from pan and place on serving plate to cool completely. When ready to serve, dust powdered sugar over the top. Serve with fresh raspberries and a dollop of whipped topping or whipping cream, if desired.
Makes: 16 servings
Serving size: N/A
Calories 195, Fat 4 g, Carbohydrates 36 mg, Protein 5 g, Sodium 311 mg
Recipe: ©2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.