It’s a common problem in kitchens across the country – how do we prepare meals that taste great, but are also nutritious? Instead of forgoing your favorite recipes, try altering a few of the ingredients to make a better-for-you version. Ingredient substitution is an easy way to reduce calories in many of your favorite meals, without sacrificing taste.
Cream cheese is an ingredient that often adds a rich and creamy taste to dishes. However, its high fat content may drive some people away from making a dish all together. Instead, opt for a light version of cream cheese, which can contain lower calorie content and lower saturated fats.
Try this recipe for blueberries with lemon cream and see for yourself!
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- ¾ cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Using a fork, break up cream cheese in a medium bowl. Drain off any liquid from the yogurt; add yogurt to the bowl along with honey. Using an electric mixer, beat at high speed until light and creamy. Stir in lemon zest.
- Layer the lemon cream and blueberries in dessert dishes or wineglasses. If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: ½ cup each
Calories 144, Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 18 mg, Carbohydrates 21 mg, Protein 5 g, Sodium 164 mg, Potassium 230 mg
Recipe: © Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission. For more recipes go to EatingWell.com