Set aside the sparkling grape juice and offer one of these kid-friendly drinks at your New Year’s Eve party. BCBSKS members – if you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out the WebMD portal in BlueAccess®
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (or more) Perrier
- 1 drop blackberry extract
- 1 drop natural red food coloring
- Mix all ingredients together for 1 beverage serving.
Yield: 1 serving
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved and ©Lediet.com 2001-2006
Hot spiced cranberry cider
- 6 cups apple cider
- 5 cups Ocean Spray® Light Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3/4 lemon, thinly sliced
- Add apple cider, light cranberry juice cocktail, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and lemon slices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon, cloves and lemon slices with a slotted spoon. Serve hot.
You can also add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and heat on HIGH until nice and hot, then reduce heat to low to keep warm through the evening.
Yield: 11 servings (about 1 cup each)
Per serving: 93 calories, 0 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, .2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0.2 g fiber, 6 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 2%.
© 2005 Elaine Magee © 2003-2006 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
Festive fruity flavored milk
- 1 cup fat-free skim or 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons apricot, blackberry, raspberry, or strawberry fruit syrup
- For each cup of milk, stir in 2 tablespoons fruit syrup.
- Try experimenting with different brands of fruit syrups until you find one that provides the perfectly pleasing color to your milk. Fruit syrups are available in natural and artificially flavored varieties and are usually found in the section with pancake mixes.
Yield: 1 serving
Per serving: 190 calories, 8 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 30% Daily Value of calcium, 125 mg sodium.
National Dairy Council. © 2003-2006 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.