Has a life event left you without health insurance?
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
If you lost your health insurance and don’t have the option to enroll in an employer-sponsored plan, you can change or enroll in a plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace or directly from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. You may even be able to get savings based on your income.
The Open Enrollment Period for plans on the Marketplace takes place every fall for the following calendar year. But even after Open Enrollment ends, coverage is available when you experience a Qualifying Life Event that may allow you to change or add to your existing coverage. For example, you may have lost your coverage, had a baby, retired, got married or divorced.
When you have a Qualifying Event, you are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP), which means you can still get or change health coverage for the rest of the year. In most cases, you have up to 60 days to change your coverage.
Three easy steps to buying health insurance
1. See if you qualify for financial assistance. You can do this at Healthcare.gov, or use the Insurance Marketplace Calculator at BCBSKS.com/cares.
2. Browse plans to determine what fits your needs and budget. Here is a basic overview:
- Lower monthly premium
- Higher out-of-pocket costs when you receive medical care
- A good option if you expect to have few health services during the plan year.
- Monthly premium is generally higher than bronze
- Moderate out-of-pocket costs when you receive medical care
- A good option if you want to balance your monthly premium and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Monthly premium is generally higher than silver
- Lower out-of-pocket costs when you receive medical care
- A good option if you expect to have many health services during the plan year.
3. Enroll. If you qualify for financial assistance, you can purchase through the Marketplace (Healthcare.gov). If you do not qualify for financial assistance, you can buy directly from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. We offer plans to help meet your needs and budget.
Before you can enroll, you may be asked to submit documents to confirm the loss of coverage.
We’re here for you.
Deciding which plan is best for you can be a big decision. We’re here to help you navigate by clearly explaining the coverage in terms you can understand. We can also get you enrolled. View plans at BCBSKS.com/cares or call us at 866-679-7824.