Sometimes it’s easier to put your responsibilities aside when you feel overwhelmed, overworked or distracted by more enjoyable pursuits. However, when you postpone too many projects, your life can feel disorganized and out of control. Here are some tips to avoid procrastination as you learn to focus on the tasks at hand.
- Make a commitment to yourself to complete your tasks on time. Motivate yourself to get your work done by listening to music or giving yourself a pep talk.
- Visualize what it will take to complete each item on your list. Imagine what you’ll be able to do once that task is complete and off your checklist.
- Break your projects into short-term and long-term tasks to help you manage your time.
- Limit your checklist to 10 items per day and address the most important items first.
- If necessary, delegate your responsibilities to others.
- Celebrate when you meet deadlines. A short break, a night out or even a major activity can help you prepare for the next project.
Remember, if you’re having a problem with time management, there are easy solutions to correct the situation. You can get your life in order and your work done on time!
If you are struggling to focus at work, balance your responsibilities or navigate a big life change, call the number on the back of your insurance card to connect with New Directions, your behavioral health benefit provider, to get support and access helpful resources.
© New Directions Behavioral Health, 2017
Source: Life Advantages, Delvina Miremadi ©2019