These bars taste like a Rice Krispie® treat with peanut butter! And, with 1/3 cup of flaxseed, they pack a punch of energy to get you through your day! Watch as Donna from our Blues Café kitchen puts together these no-bake peanut butter power bars. BCBSKS members – this recipe and more can be found in the WebMD portal in your Blue Access® account!
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola margarine
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows, lightly packed
- 1 cup low-fat granola
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal (or other puffed rice cereal)
- 1/3 cup ground golden flaxseed (golden flax works better in this recipe)
- Coat an 8×8-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray. Put the butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows into a medium-sized microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until mixture is just melted. Stir to blend.
- Microwave again briefly if the mixture isn’t melted or smooth. Then stir in granola, puffed rice and flaxseed.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan, flattening it evenly with a sheet of waxed paper. Let it cool completely before cutting into 8 equal-sized bars.
Yield: 8 bars
Per serving: 207 calories, 5.5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g of fat (2 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 174 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%. Omega 3 fatty acids = 1 g, Omega 6 fatty acids = 0.7 g.
© 2003-2006 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.